Me Hearts Korean Drama: Lie To Me


Not too long ago, I talked about the K-drama Lady Castle or much commonly known as My Fair Lady here in the Philippines. I was happy with how the drama went to so I looked up on some other series that Yoon Eun Hye had appeared too. Aside from Princess Hours and Coffee Prince (I never was able to finish it), I just realized that she had actually appeared in Lee Min Ho's Personal Taste as well. Anyway, I got intrigued with this drama titled Lie To Me where Eun-Hye was the main character and this is her latest drama so last Saturday night, no it was already Sunday dawn, without hesitation I started watching it and boy, how I loved the series. Want to ask me why, check the synopsis first from asianmediawiki.com:


A woman in her late 20's is always asked "when are you going to get married?" On a whim, the woman then lies that she did get married.

Kong Ah-Jung (Yoon Eun-Hye) is an administrative official for the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism. She then co-ordinates a meeting for government officials. The meeting appears to flow smoothly and she is even praised by the minister. Disaster soon strikes when bees attack the meeting place and the meeting turns into chaos. Taking responsibility for meeting, Ah-Jung is ordered to submit a written apology. That evening Kong Ah-Jung goes to a club and drinks away her sorrows.

Meanwhile, Hyun Ki-Joon (Kang Ji-Hwan) is the president for conglomerate "World Group." He is handsome, smart and from a rich family. But, in his teen years due to an accident he lost both of his parents. Since that time, Ki-Joon and his younger brother were raised by his aunt. Ki-Joon has a responsible character as an older brother but his younger brother Sang-Hee (Sung Joon) is more carefree. The younger brother Sang-Hee then comes back to Korea and meets Ah-Jung at the club, while she is drinking away her sorrows. Ah-Jung and Sang-Hee start to chat and Ki-Joon shows up to looking for Sang-Hee. He misses Sang-Hee. in front of the club Ah-Jung passes out and Ki-Joon takes her to the hospital. In order to ask Ah-Jung about Sang-Hee's whereabouts, Ki-Joon stays next to Ah-Jung's bed all through the night. The next day, they go their separate ways.

On the following day, Ah-Jung meets So-Ran (Hong Soo-Hyun) who stole away her first love Jae-Beom (Ryu Seung-Soo). So-Ran and Jae-Beom eventually married. After So-Ran and Jae-Beom became a couple, Ah-Jung studied hard and passed her government official exam to impress Jae-Beom. At the hair salon, Ah-Jung on a whim lies to the couple and tells them that she is married. Ah-Jung then goes to a hotel to pay Ki-Joon for the other night's hospital bill. An accident occurs and she spills tomato juice all over her sweater. Ah-Jung is so embarrassed she pretends to pass out. Ki-Joon picks her up and takes her to his hotel room. During this time, Ah-Jung's friends watches and a rumor soon spreads that Ah-Jung and Ki-Joon are married ....
While Eun-Hye was a princess on the earlier drama, she was a commoner on this one. However, it looked like she still ended up as a princess. That's why, there weren't any jaw dropping dresses here though there were scenes where she had to wear nice gowns, what would you expect for a commoner?

Of all the Korean dramas that I had watched, this is the only one which had a very intimate kiss so far. There was this one scene where Ah Jung and Ki-Joon were in the Ki-Joon's kitchen, they poured the bottle of soda into each other and got themselves wet, then they started kissing. It was the most "kilig" moment. I can't stop myself from smiling and recalling the same scene gives me some different feeling. And Kang Ji-Hwan's acting while shaking the bottle was very funny!

I love it when a well-respected guy would fall in love with a simple, commoner girl and would do anything for her to show his love and affection. I would say that Korean dramas had been very consistent in showing this kind of fairy tale where every girl would dream about. I dream about having my prince charming do those things too. Teehee... There were scenes that I won't forget about this series, the top one was the cola-kiss.


Then the scene where they sat on a small bench, cherry blossoms were falling which adds to the romantic environment and they almost kiss.


Then there was this scene where Ah-Jung was about to go to Jeju and before leaving at the airport, Ki-Joon pulled her and kissed her. 
The story somehow where the girl should give up the boy in order to make things right is very common but who cares, the viewers still love it. I just wonder why Sung Joon's (Sang-hee) character was not too aggressive on the drama, he was the most incompetent rival of all the series I had seen. I would also like to comment that he was not too good in acting. I'm not sure but I was not moved in his drama acting, IMHO.

There were characters that I like with the drama like Ki-Joon's secretary who was really cute. His friend Park Ji-Yun who works with him in the hotel and his aunt, Hyun Myung-Jin, though she was sometimes a beast, she would still support Ki-Joon.

The story ended in Jeju Island, which has been very popular in almost all series that I had seen, well not all though but I had known it since the Meteor Garden times. Beach scenes are very popular just like the Boys Over Flowers. Anyway, why do I tend to like every leading man on these K-dramas? Aigoo!!!!


Love just came to me as a lie, then the lie becomes love then we learned tht sometimes, inside the lie there hides a truth that is more passionate than the reality. 

- Ah-Jung and Ki-Joon

True isn't it?




Pin It!

Leave a comment

Please leave a comment