I Can't Skype, Can You?

If you have problem with your Skype program, don't yah worry because it's not just you, I have the same problem too and a lot more users also. I started having this issue last Wednesday when I noticed that every time I open Skype, it would just give me this message:

It has no other option back then than to close it. It was a pain since James and I uses Skype for communication. At first I thought there was some kind of virus which had infected the program until James told me that he is having the same problem and then my Facebook friend also. This can't just be a coincidence right?

But don't worry because just yesterday, May 26, 2011, the Skype community had just posted about the issue and gave a work around for Windows and Mac users. Here's the steps:



Windows Vista and Windows 7
1. Close Skype.
a. Right-click the Skype icon in the system tray (at the bottom right of the screen)
b. Choose Quit.
2. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.
a. Click Start, type run and press Enter.
b. Type control folders and click OK.
c. Select the View tab and ensure relevant entry is enabled.
3. Locate the shared.xml file.
a. Click Start, type run and press Enter.
b. Type %appdata%\skype and click OK.
c. Delete the shared.xml file.
4. Restart Skype. The shared.xml file will be recreated.

Windows XP
1. Close Skype.
a. Right-click the Skype icon in the system tray (at the bottom right of the screen)
b. Choose Quit.
2. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.
a. Click Start and then Run...
b. Type control folders and click OK.
c. Select the View tab and ensure relevant entry is enabled.
3. Locate the shared.xml file.
a. Click Start and then Run...
b. Type %appdata%\skype and click OK.
c. Delete the shared.xml file.
4. Restart Skype. The shared.xml file will be recreated.

Mac OS X
1. Quit Skype.
2. Go to the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Skype/
3. Delete the file shared.xml (it will be recreated once you open Skype again, this is fine).
4. Start Skype.

Please note that the ~ sign means your home folder. You can find your home folder by opening Finder and selecting Go > Home from the menu bar or pressing Command (Apple), Shift and H keys at the same time. 


This works for me! Now if this doesn't work for you, then you might need to take some other work around!


BTW, I am also having some problem with my Followers gadget on my sidebar. I can't understand why it won't show up at all. I tried doing some troubleshooting like removing the gadget out of the blog and then added it back but still no avail. 



xoxo,

Pin It!

2 Comments to “I Can't Skype, Can You?”

Leave a comment

Please leave a comment